Cheers to Monday | March 20th
The Week in Review | March 14 – 20, 2017
It’s the first day of Spring, and just thinking about it has me all kinds of excited! I love bright, fresh greens, and beautiful blooms, but you know what I love even more about this day? The reminder that things that I thought were dead or lifeless or slowly withering are being made new! This special day reminds me of God’s faithful promises and provision in my life…that even in areas where I can’t see growth or change, He is working. And what a sweet truth that is! ?
And with that, here are just a few of the highlights of the past seven days!
– My favorite thing from this past week was all of our adventures with our family! Isaac and Lyd were here for a whole week, and it still didn’t feel like enough time together! In between playing Taboo at the table, watching fun shows on Netflix, sleeping in, and having big bowls of cereal for breakfast (something we don’t normally do anymore and miss!), Luke and I took them to as many of our favorite places as we could think of and had time for…which basically turned into a food tour of St. Pete ? We drove over to Mazzaro’s for lunch and feasted on gyros and sausage + peppers sandwiches, and may or may not have smuggled cannolis back out to the car 😉 We made a late night stop at Chick-Fil-A because Isaac had never been (my reaction —> ? ? ? ). We spent a whole night on the couch sharing pizza and garlic knots from our favorite spot down the street. We put “queso in our face-o-s” downtown at Red Mesa. And we even managed to squeeze in Pub Subs…because how could you not?!
Don’t worry…we showed them non-food related things, too, like that day we all got SUPER sun burnt out at Fort DeSoto’s North Beach! 😉 We managed to get in some exercise around the walking path by our house (alligators were seen!), and spent a whole afternoon out at Apollo Beach ooo-ing and ahh-ing over all the manatees swimming around in the warm waters of the power plant. We even saw dolphins one day!
I can’t say enough good things about our week together! It was SO fun having them stay with us, and the house hasn’t felt the same since ? We miss them already, and are counting down until they can visit again!!! ❤️
– I read through a new book this past week, called This Life I Live, by Rory Feek. If you haven’t heard of him, Rory is half of the country-singing duo, Joey and Rory, and in the book, he shares very frankly about his past, his journey to finding Jesus, and his incredible relationship with his wife, Joey, who passed away last year from cancer. I think one of the parts that spoke to me the most was how their faith in the Lord impacted every part of their lives and relationships, and how they were so intentional about praying through decisions together as a couple. This is an area Luke and I are always desiring to grow and mature in, and reading their story was such an encouragement to me!
– I forgot to mention this one last week, so I’m going to sneak it in here…I finally finished a dresser remodel that I’d been sitting on for the past few months, and I LOVE how it turned out!!! Our pastor’s wife knows that I really like DIYing furniture, and happened to see this piece out in their alley waiting for trash pickup, so she called to tell me about it, and before I knew it, Luke was loading it up in the giant trunk of their car and it was on it’s way to our house! (I need to take a few photos with my “nice” camera, but in the meantime, this phone snap Before & After will have to do)
In case you’re curious, these are the steps that I took to get it looking like it does now! ?
- removed all the old hardware
- removed all the wood veneer from the top of the dresser (it wasn’t in good shape…Luke was a HUGE help with this part)
- used wood filler to patch up the dents in the top of the dresser
- sanded down the whole thing, including drawer fronts
- wiped down every surface to remove dust and disinfect
- painted with Annie Sloan’s Charcoal paint and sealed with clear wax
- replaced old hardware with glass knobs from TJ Maxx and gold bar pulls from Target